Herring are sometimes referred to as the ‘Silver Darlings.’
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- 4 x herrings, cleaned and heads removed
- 55g / 2 oz butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 55g / 2 oz breadcrumbs
- 55g / 2 oz shelled walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- 140g / 5oz Caerphilly cheese, crumbled
- 1 x 15ml spoon / 1 tbsp English mustard
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 x 15ml spoon / 3 tbsp fresh mixed herbs such as chives, parsley, rosemary
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 7
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan, add the leek and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix together the breadcrumbs, walnuts, cheese, mustard, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mixed herbs. Add the leek and mix together well.
- Place the herring onto a baking sheet. Open the herring and spoon the stuffing into each fish. Sprinkle each fish with sea salt.
- Bake the fish for 15–20 minutes and serve with Welsh potatoes.