- 4 x 170g (6oz) herring fillets
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced
- 30g (1oz) butter, softened
- 1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) fresh chopped mixed herbs
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 x 15ml spoon (2 tablespoons) crème fraîche
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350o F, Gas Mark 4
- Cut each herring fillet into 3 equal sized pieces.
- Mix the butter with the herbs and spread a little over one side of each slice of bread. Arrange the slices in 4 individual lightly buttered ovenproof dishes. Tuck the herring fillets in between each slice.
- Blend the milk, eggs and crème fraîche together in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the bread and herrings and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 15- 20 minutes until just set and golden.