This is such a fragrant dish; use the marinade and crunchy topping on sardines or mackerel.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 8 fresh herring or sardines, cleaned and heads removed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- juice and rind of half a lemon
- juice and rind of half a lime
- pinch of brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of poppy seeds
- Mix together the shallot, oil, garlic, lemon and lime juice and rind, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Pour into a shallow dish and add the fish. Toss to ensure and even covering. Spoon a little of the mix into the cavity of the fish for added flavour. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the marinade, place on a tray under the grill and cook for about 12 minutes turning regularly.
- When cooked, sprinkle liberally with the poppy seeds.
- Serve with couscous or rice salad.