Herrings in crispy oatmeal with mustard sauce
- 4 herrings, filleted
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) milk
- 15 g (1 tbsp) seasoned flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50 g (2 oz) coarse oatmeal
- oil for frying
- lemon wedges
- Mustard Sauce
- Four herring fillets
- Steep the herring in the milk for about half an hour, drain and dip in seasoned flour.
- Dip the fish in beaten egg and then coat generously in coarse oatmeal.
- Shallow fry in hot oil, stomach side down first, until crisp and golden on either side.
- Serve with wedges of lemon and Mustard Sauce.
Photo courtesy Fish is the Dish, www.fishisthedish.co.uk