- 4 whole new season herrings, (gutted and cleaned)
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 4 large tomatoes (halved)
- 2 tsps butter
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 cocktail sticks
- Preheat the oven to 180C – Gas Mark 4
- Take the herrings and if necessary, clean further by washing in cold water and removing any remaining scales with a scaler or the back of a kitchen knife.
- Score the flanks of the herring each side and spread a little butter in the body cavities.
- Squeeze a little lemon over the fish and season well with salt and pepper.
- Skewer the heads and tails of the herring together using the cocktail sticks and place in a foil lined baking dish with enough foil to create a parcel.
- Season the tomatoes and place around the herring with the remainder of the lemon wedges. Cover with the sides of the foil to create the parcel and bake under a moderate heat – 180C Gas 4 for 15 mins.
- Take out the herrings and open up the parcel and bake for another five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the tomatoes, lemons and some wholemeal or granary bread.